Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Spray Fabric Paint with Stencils

fabric spray paint

Now this type of paint is a little trickier than the previous stencil posts (bleach pens, regular fabric paint). I used fabric spray paint from Tulip, and I did mess up the first time, let me show you how...

What not to do: too much paint, and spray too close

Now my mistake was I was spraying the paint too close to the fabric and spraying too much!! This caused the paint to bleed outside of the edges, and not allow the font to appear clear and precise like I wanted.

By the way, all paint and bleach will bleed to the other side of the t-shirt unless you place cardboard or another thick object between layers of fabric.

The correct way, spray the paint at least 10 inches from surface.

This is the correct way. Here I sprayed the paint at least 10 inches from the surface, and to get the darker red, I did two coats (sprayed it again after the first layer dried). See those lines above my name? That was my error, when I cut the vinyl, I didn't cut a big enough space around it (if you place an order for a stencil, you will have a border of at least three inches).

front and back view of t-shirt

Using fabric spray paint was a trial-and-error process but it worked out great and now I have a team t-shirt for a mud run coming up!!

vinyl craft stencil

No comments:

Post a Comment