Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Portable Art

not all those who wander are lost vinyl lettering

I love vinyl lettering, but one thing that used to prevent me from getting vinyl was that I was unsure of how long I would want it in one spot. So I came up with a solution that I call portable art. Portable art is defined as artwork that can be easily transferred from one place to another, normally on canvas, photo frames, etc.

I love traveling so I wanted to paint a map of the world and put little dots to mark where I had been. I knew I wanted to add a quote next to my artwork, but I didn’t know how. Did I want to make a sign board? Or put the quote on canvas? In the end, I decided canvas, because I could always try again if I was unsatisfied. I absolutely love how my project has turned out and I love it together as a collection.

Applying vinyl lettering to canvas requires a bit of extra care. Take these tips into consideration when doing your own personal project.


  • I didn’t apply masking tape at the top, I was worried it might take my paint off the canvas. So I took off the bottom layer first and then applied the vinyl and transfer layers to the canvas.

  • The transfer layer does not come off as easily as normal, but I found that if I held down the edges of the letter the rest came off just fine.


If you like the new saying, quote by J.R.R. Tolkien, see it at our online store labeled “Wander”. In two weeks we will have a map so you too can mark your places of travel!

By the way, have you entered our creativity contest? Click Here for more details about the creativity award!

vinyl wall art

2 comments:

  1. Neat! I wish I would have looked at this a bit sooner; I had never done anything with the vinyl I won last summer because I wanted to be able to take it with me if we ever move. Recently I finally settled on putting it on a tile, but I also really like the look of the canvas and It's much more practical to hang on a wall than a tile. But, I am still happy with my project on the tile!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing these tips of portable vinyl lettering art.

    ReplyDelete